Paul said, “In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you” (1 Thess 5:18).
Am I thankful all the time? Are you?
I am thankful when I partake of the Lord’s Supper and remember Calvary. I am thankful when I pray, “Give us this day our daily bread.” I am thankful when I focus. But sometimes I lose focus.
Do you lose the thankfulness focus sometimes as well?
Sharon likes for us to list 3 or 5 or 10 things we are thankful for. She asks this not just in late November, but all the time.
Here are eight things I’m thankful for this thanksgiving:
- 65 years of good health.
- 45 years of everlasting life, which I know is secure forever.
- 41 years of a wonderful marriage to Sharon.
- 30 years of ministry with Grace Evangelical Society.
- 28 years of being discipled and mentored by Zane Hodges (1980-2008).
- 25 years of ministry at Victor Street Bible Chapel.
- 23 years in our current home.
- 9 years speaking at Upland Bible Church and competing in the World Senior Games (Geezer Olympics).
I am so thankful I still can think and write and speak. And I’m thankful for the financial and spiritual support from so many of you for so long.
I just hit the Silver Sneaker club a few months back. I hope I’m still able to write and speak and even compete in racewalking and marathons twenty or thirty years from now if the Lord tarries. But I know all of that is in His hands (Jas 4:13-17). And I’m glad it is.