By John Goodding
Have you ever shared the gospel with someone and felt they really understood what you were saying, and even believed it, but later on you found out they were thinking something different than what you said?
This is an all too common occurrence.
People will nod their heads and agree with everything being said, but in their minds, they are mixing it together with their past teaching and beliefs.
Sometimes people are more interested in being agreeable than actually changing their beliefs.
If you want to know if they understand, and believe, there is really only one way to find out: ask questions!
Here are seven helpful questions I use when sharing the gospel:
1. Do you know for sure that you will go to heaven? (If yes) How do you know? (If no) Would you like to know for sure?
2. How many of your sins did Jesus die for on the cross? Jesus paid for all of your sins on the cross, not just sins in the past, but sins in the future as well.
3. What is the only thing God asks you to do to gain everlasting life? Everlasting life is gained only by believing in Jesus alone for it, not by doing good things. (This is the key point that they must understand.)
4. How long does everlasting life last? Forever. If it didn’t last forever it wouldn’t be called everlasting life. You can’t lose something you have that lasts forever.
5. When does your everlasting life begin? You receive it the moment you believe in Jesus alone for it. (A simple but important point.)
6. Do you believe this? (If yes) You have everlasting life, which you can never lose.
7. If you were to do something really bad and then die, would you go to heaven or hell? Why? Heaven. (If they are not sure they have everlasting life no matter what, go back over the gospel and show them that once you believe in Jesus alone for everlasting life, it can’t be lost. If they still don’t seem to understand, encourage them to read the Gospel of John and invite them to talk with you again.)
I’ve found that asking these questions, in the process of sharing the gospel, lets me know if they really understand. It also helps them clearly understand what they need to believe to have eternal life.
John Goodding is Director of 289Design.org. You can order copies of this tract through Simplybelief.com/free-tracts.