Legalists from Israel were corrupting the Galatian churches, teaching them they needed to be circumcised and to keep different laws to be saved.
Paul hit back. Hard.
Paul’s greeting to the Galatian churches (1:1-5) strongly emphasized that God is the main actor in salvation.
- God sends the preacher (v 1a).
- God raised Jesus from the dead (1b).
- God gives grace and peace (v 3).
- Jesus gave Himself for our sins (v 4a).
- Jesus delivers from the present evil age (v 4b).
- God wills for this all to happen (v 4c).
- And all the glory belongs to Him (v 5).
It’s all God, God, God.
None of it is you, you, you.
To think that circumcision could add anything to this is not just crazy, but “cursed” (v 8, 9).